Thursday, September 29, 2011

The 3-day Experience!!

Last week was an experience I almost can't describe.  My sister and I met in Washington, DC, on the 17th of September to get in some exploring, sightseeing, and some sister time before the 3-day walk.  The weather was beautiful and we saw lots of sights and had a lot of time together.  We met new friends and took lots of pictures!

Then came Friday morning, and the walk.  We gathered at 6 a.m. to start the walk.  There were the opening ceremonies, then we headed out.  Supported by my sister and countless others on the crew, we took off into Washington DC in a sea of pink.  That first day we walked all through Washington, past many of the sights we'd seen before - but this time just to walk past.  17+ miles later - raining all the way -  we arrived at a parking lot where school buses took us to camp.  My sister greeted me with open arms as I arrived at camp!  I checked mail call and I was surprised by several  birthday cards from friends - and a letter from my daughter that made me cry!!  Among a sea of pink pup tents (how in the heck do I find mine??) we tried to dry off, had showers and dinner and went to sleep. 

Saturday morning brought cloudy skies but no rain!  After breakfast, we headed out from camp.  This time we walked through Bethesda and other residential areas.  I found a lady walking about my pace and we walked together all day.  She happened to be from Columbia, Missouri - and her son was involved in band at several schools so we had things in common.  My sister had given me two buttons - one that blinked - that said "Happy Birthday" so everyone knew it was my birthday and I was serenaded several times during the day.  There were a lot of people out encouraging the walkers.  It seemed like every time it got a little hard, there were people to pick you up!  At lunch, I decided that my knee was hurting too bad to chance walking the rest of the way and I rode back to camp on the SAG bus.  Sharon was having problems with her feet and joined me.  After being greeted by my sister again as I walked into camp, I went to medical where they iced my knee and wrapped it.  That and Motrin did the trick.  I was afraid of pushing it too much and not being able to finish on Sunday - which I really wanted to do.  After a shower and dinner, and some shopping, I headed to the pink tent for much-needed rest.

Pam and I at the end of the second day

Sunday morning brought a little drizzle which ended before we hit the trail.  We were bused to the starting point in Bethesda, Maryland.  We walked through Bethesda, Chevy Chase, and ended our journey at the Washington Monument - 16+ miles later.  The bear that Chris, Kaitlyn, and Amanda had made me at Build-A-Bear joined me for the walk on Sunday.  I thought it was appropriate that Ka-C join me after she'd been with me through every radiation treatment!  It also gave me the feeling my kids were with me on the walk.  I got a lot of comments on her which gave me a chance to tell my story.  The walkers seemed to be in a more somber mood - we just wanted to get to the end of the walk and the closing ceremonies!  As I walked into the finish area, my sister again was looking for me.  We walked across the finish line together holding onto Ka-C as we crossed.  The rain held off and just as closing ceremonies started, the sun came out. 

Closing ceremonies were very emotional.  The walkers and crew went into the ceremony area first - surrounded by lots and lots of cheering spectators.  Then the survivors went in.  Everyone was cheering us and yelling - it was a huge party!  Things got very emotional as they applauded the walkers, crew, and survivors.  Everyone shared laughs, smiles, tears, hugs, and friendship.  My special moment was when I looked up and all of the walkers were holding up one shoe in tribute to the survivors.  All of my aches and pains disappeared for a few moments as we completed closing ceremonies!
Day 3 - me with Ka-C and 12 miles to go (more or less - mostly more!)

All in all, it was an experience I'll never forget.  I'm not sure whether or not I'll do it again, but I am so glad to have done it.  The time with my sister, the experience of being surrounded by supporters and other survivors and just being able to say "I did it!" are all unforgettable.  I met lots of new friends, shared lots of hugs and stories, walked more in three days than I ever thought I could, and raised over $2600 for a cause I have to believe in.  The entire walk raised over $7 million dollars!
I have my supporters to thank - all of you that donated money, that kept me in your thoughts and prayers (they were felt!!), and that encouraged me with words and smiles.  I love you all - thanks for giving me the priviledge of having this experience!

Shoes raised in tribute - beautiful sight!

Steph Goddard


No comments:

Post a Comment