Sunday, August 14, 2011

Komen Race for the Cure

Where to start??  This morning was fantastic in all respects.  The weather was gorgeous.  I walked with old friends and new.  I was part of the survivor's walk.  So AWESOME!  And this is small compared to what I will be doing in September - is that next month already??

This morning I participated in the Susan G. Komen Kansas City Race for the Cure.  It's the first event I've done since becoming a survivor.  It was so beautiful.  There were live bands cheering us on at almost every corner.  Pink balloons everywhere.  As I neared the finish line, I was handed a pink rose.  My friends took lots of pictures - I FORGOT my camera.  I was going to take my small one, but alas, forgot.  Oh, well - that's what friends are for.  I'll post pictures when I get them from them.  We were all happy just to be together and see each other again.  The drumline from one of the Shawnee Mission schools (sorry, forgot which one) led the survivor's walk - it was so awesome!

Yesterday I completed a 17-mile walk in two phases.  Did a 9-mile walk, came home, rested, ate lunch, then headed back out for an 8-mile walk.  The 8-mile was a little tough, I ran out of water and didn't plan my route as well as usual.  I went to a pizza place (which shall remain nameless but I'll never go there again!)  and asked for ice water.  They didn't have ice, which I said was OK, but then he tried to give me a story about the health department and not being able to give me water out of the faucet since if it's contaminated I could get sick.  HUH?????  OK, one, isn't any place of business required to have drinking water available and not for purchase?  Two - since when could the water out of the faucet, which I'm assuming since they're in the city is actually city water, be contaminated to the point that it would make me sick?  He finally relented and filled up my water bottle about halfway with tepid water (which was better than nothing!).  I then was able to continue and make it to one of my favorite gas stations - they gladly let me have a bottle of ice water.

I was getting tired, knee was acting up, but I kept putting one foot in front of the other.  As I was nearing home, I saw a kid riding a skateboard.  He was crossing the street.  He was dressed in a black pair of pants and a tank top, and had a Sonic hat on - and was coming from the direction of Sonic.  He was also smoking a cigarette.  Now - I have a not-so-good attitude about smokers, especially young ones.  But as he passed me, he gave me a big smile and asked how I was doing - to which I replied that I was hot, tired, almost home, but good.  He asked me how far I'd walked and I told him I was finishing up 17 miles.  He then asked me what I was walking for and I told him (I was wearing the white Komen run shirt so he suspected something along that line!).  He then stuck his hand out and told me to keep going, he admired me.  I took his hand and said thanks - and remembered that I really try not to judge kids no matter how they look or what they do.  His encouragement got me back home when I was almost ready to give up!  I now remember why I like working with kids so much.  I used to work with the kids in our church youth group - and now work with the kids in the marching band.  I love them so much!  He really made up for the pizza guy who didn't want to give me any water!

Songs - they play with you sometimes!  I usually walk alone, which I don't mind.  I don't have to worry about keeping up with someone or someone keeping up with me.  I don't carry an IPod or anything else - it's just me and my thoughts.  But there's usually a song running through my head.  On yesterday morning's walk, it was Brandon Heath's "Give Me Your Eyes".  I think that was trying to prepare me for the afternoon.  Then in the afternoon, for some reason the National Anthem started going through my head.   I didn't want to listen to it for 8 miles, so forced it out.  Then "Sing, Sing, Sing" started up and I walked with that the rest of the way.  Kaitlyn's marching band is doing that song as their opener in their marching show this year so I was hearing their version, drum line and all.  It was great!

Dear God, thanks for the blessings of cooler weather!  Thanks for the friends you've placed in my life.  Thanks for the ability to try and make a difference.  Help me to do your will even if it conflicts with mine.  Guide me to the right path for my life.  Amen!

And Amen!
steffy

No comments:

Post a Comment