Saturday, April 16, 2011

One step forward, three steps back......ouch!

I jokingly say that knees are not one of God's better inventions.  For real. 
Last Saturday I walked three miles in the wind and sun - felt good when I turned around and the wind was at my back!  I did disappoint Retro, though.  He was crying when I left for my walk without him - beagle cries are awful!
My "official" training schedule started on Monday - which was a rest day.  Tuesday I walked three miles on my lunch break at work - walked from Crown Center to Sprint Center and wound my way back for three.  Wednesday was supposed to be a rest day, but I decided to walk to church for choir practice - only a  mile so no big deal.  Again, Retro was howling since I didn't take him with me (how does that dog always know when I'm going for a walk without him??).  Got to church, got a drink, went to the choir room and sat down in a chair.  OUCH!  Left knee screamed in pain.  I tried to straighten it out - no dice.  I found I could walk on it without pain as long as I didn't straighten it out. 
Well - this has kind of happened before - knee would lock.  So, got home and applied heat.  Again - no dice.  Still can't straighten it.  Take some Motrin, go to bed.  Several times during the night, woke up in pain when I turned and tried to stretch the leg.  Go to urgent care, probable torn cartilege.  They braced it and gave me prescription-strength Aleve with instructions to take twice a day.  And call the ortho.  Ouch.
So it's a little better now, but still can't straighten it all the way.  I have an appointment with my friendly orthopedic doctor, Dan, for Thursday.  Urgent care said it's probably a tear, and has probably been there for awhile, I've probably just torn it more. 
So much for training schedule.  I'm still determined.  When I see the doctor, I'm gonna push to have it fixed.  I can't afford to have this happen a week before the walk!  Hopefully it's an easy scope and I can get back to the training schedule.  Fortunately, I was up to where I could do a six-mile walk no problem so I should be able to get back to the schedule fairly quickly.  I gotta look at it that way!!!!!
In other news - Kaitlyn has a job and likes it.  She's a hostess at Houlihan's on 119th St.  We were supposed to go to K-State for an open house today, but decided last night not to go.  We're going there on Monday anyway for Junior Day - and she has to work tonight and tomorrow morning.  Makes life easier on all - and saves a tank of gas!
And the Royals are doing well!  I worked the game last night (I think the cold air helped my knee!) and they won 6-2.  Heard the fireworks as I was walking to my car.
Have a great week, all!  And prayers for my knee would be appreciated.  They are NOT one of God's better inventions!

Love to all,
Steffy

1 comment:

  1. OUCH ... My left knee hurts just reading your words! Keep it warm (that helps me) and follow the DRs orders to the letter. We want you well! Take care friend ... Leanne

    www.LazyDayStamper.com

    ReplyDelete