Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day 2011

It's Memorial Day 2011.  A lot has happened in the last few months!  As I sit here reflecting on how things have changed, I realize how blessed I am.  I just finished sending an email to Kaitlyn's soccer team.  She's decided not to play club soccer this year.  I'll miss those people - some I've known for several years.  Tomorrow I go into work for the last day - I'll miss those people - some I've known for almost 30 years!  I'm meeting new friends.  I'm walking a lot -  put in 21 miles over the last week.  I'll start cross-training by swimming two days a week now that I have the time.  I'll be working with the band director at Olathe Northwest - looking forward to doing new things and meeting new people there.  And I'll be working out at the Royals and Sprint more - I like doing that also.  So life is changing - I don't think it's slowing down, just changing!  I don't have to get up at 5 a.m. anymore - now if I could just sleep past 6:00 a.m. 

Training is going well.  Despite a nasty-looking bruise on my right leg, I got my miles in this week.  Tuesday took a 3-mile walk in the evening.  Thursday was my reception -I rode the bus to work and came home with my family so my car was at the park-and-ride.  I walked over and picked it up.  Saturday morning I got in a 7 mile walk before the rain, then Sunday evening headed out for a 6 mile walk.  It all felt good.  I've ordered a waist pack to keep things in like phone, chapstick, inhaler, sunscreen, and a snack for the longer walks.  It will come in handy - I don't have as many pockets in the summer as I did in the winter!  I have to admit, I'm NOT looking forward to the longer walks in the heat -  but I will do them.  I've got routes mapped out where I can walk to places to fill up my water bottle.  And I always have my cell phone with me just in case.  And I always let Rob know what my route is.  So I think we're good there.  As the walks get longer, I'll have Rob or Kaitlyn meet me halfway to re-supply me with water and/or have lunch with me.  Plans are coming together!

Retirement - is looking even better.  My friend Judy, who is also retiring after 35 years, and I took our team and a few others out to lunch on Tuesday - we had a fun time!  Then Thursday was a joint retirement reception for myself, Judy, and another friend - David - who has 32 years in.  Between the three of us, we have 96 years of service.  That's a lot of experience walking out the door tomorrow!  Our reception was very nice - my friend Christi did a fantastic job of it all.  She made boards for each of us with pictures of us through our years at Blue Cross.  There were a lot of friends that came in - and I made it thought it all without a tear.  I saw a lot of friends - the lady that hired me, Judy Bond, made it in to say hi.  There were a lot of others, some I was pleasantly surprised to see.  All in all, it was a fantastic way to end 29 years.

Now it's off to the rest of my life - which begins with working at the Royals today.  Go Royals!

Steffy

No comments:

Post a Comment